Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Milk Paint Revisited

I have had some great response to the Jelly cupboard from you here, Facebook and from my friends and family.  I have a couple of things to add to the last post that have come up. 

Heather asked to see some close up pics of the cupboard for a look at the grain.  I think that’s one of the great things about milk paint is that it still lets you see some of the grain. So Heather here you go I hope it helps making the decision on using milk paint. 

IMG_4040_1067x800

Here is a look at the grain running across top of the door.  You can also see the dowels that are used to hold the half lap joint together. 

 

 

 

 

IMG_4041_1067x800

Here is a shot of one of the knots on the side.  I would imagine you could add another coat and cover up the grain and knots if that’s what you are looking for.

 

 

 

 

 

Okay part two:

I talked with Anne the President over at The Old Fashioned Milk Paint Company about some of the things I mentioned in the last post about milk paint and she gave me a few pointers on the milk paint to make it smoother and easier to paint.

Here is an excerpt from the email that she sent me the other day:

Milk paint really is a rustic, crude, lumpy old fashioned paint. Make sure to let it sit for a little while after you mix it, and you can use a kitchen rubber spatula to squeeze the paint on the edges of your container to help get the lumps out. After letting it sit a little while you can also strain it through some cheesecloth or better yet a piece of a nylon stocking or pantyhose- that works great!

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance, and thanks again.
Best Regards,
Anne Thibeau
President
The Old Fashioned Milk Paint Co., Inc.

I will be using here suggestions on the next go round.  I hope this helps you guys out. 

Have a Great Day!

Technorati Tags: ,

6 comments:

  1. That's perfect!! I love being able to see the grain. I think I'm going to have to pick up a couple of colors for my next projects! Thanks for the close ups!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anytime Heather. I am glad that helped. I'm with you on being able to see the grain. I think that is part of the fun being able to see the grain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used milk paint a few years ago to refinish my old bathroom cabinets. The cabinets had wood stain and a finish on them. One of the advantages to milk paint is that is sticks to just about anything.

    I lightly sanded the cabinets and applied the paint. It gives them a rustic "country" look and doesn't cover up the grain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet that looked really good on the cabinets in the bathroom. That sounds like a good idea. I have some furniture I am refinishing I might give that a try on those pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know you must be busy (or on vacation), but is there a new post in the works? Generally, less than a month between posts makes it worthwhile to visit a blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Matt yes I am working on a few things. It's been a busy hot summer so I haven't had much time in the shop but I am hopefully going to get a a few posts out over the next few weeks. Sorry to MIA the day job has taken it's toll. Things to look for soon are some home repair posts as well as the start of a Pie Safe.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails