Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Hooligan Guitar Build Day 2

I was able to take some more time in the shop tonight and get the body cut from the blank.

I did have to spend some time with the hand plane bringing the blank flat.  I am super happy with the joint.  You can’t really tell where the joint is unless you look REALLY close.  I really love my hand planes.  It is a great work out.  I got everything nice and flat and to the thickness I wanted.  I was really worried about the weight when I picked up the blank but as I cut chunks off of it thing began  to really lighten up.  I think once I take a chunk out for the electronics on the back that will help even more.  I’m debating some comfort contours.  I’ll have to think about it some more. 

IMG_3950

Here is the the blank all glued up with the cut out of the guitar from the plans.  If I had not mentioned before this guitar design is from Chris over at http://www.eguitarplans.com he has some great plans.  I have two of them and will be purchasing several more.  He has at least 3 or 4 other guitars that I want to build. 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_3951_1067x800

Here is the blank after some progress on the band saw.  I took off big chunks around the outside of the guitar body.  This made it a little easier to cut in the curves.

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_3952_1067x800

Here the blank is at the final rough cut.  There are lines that I will sand to on the plan.  To do this I am using the spindle sander that my brother got for me.  I love that thing.  I can’t wait to build more guitars and I haven’t even finished this one. 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_3953_1067x800

Here is the body sanded to shape and size.  I am extremely happy with the way it is turning out so far.  I think it is going to look awesome.  I am thinking that it is going to get painted.  There are just a few small blemishes that I don’t really want to show through, so now I need to figure out what color I want.  Anyone have any ideas?

Have a Great Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails