Friday, February 12, 2010

5 Drawer Dresser Makeover/Refurbish Progress

Sorry no pictures as of right now.  I ran out of the paint stripper the other night and have not been able to get much more done.  I was able to get the two sides stripped and most of the drawers.  Tonight I hope to get some more Formby’s and stripe the rest of the paint off.  I did take the chance last night to spray some paint I had mixed up on it and decided I really don’t like it.  It’s very odd as in some light it looks a little purple, then blue and even black.  Oh well… You live and learn.  Oh yeah I said in the last post that I was going to stain it. Well… I’m not, okay not totally…….

After getting the two sides stripped and some sanding done I realized that the original stain was very deep in the wood and wasn’t going to come out 100%, and the wood was freaking ugly, so I will be painting the body of the dresser a color to be determined probably black cause I feel monochromatic and stain the top with some ebony stain.  I hope to finish up the project this weekend.  I was able to stabilize the dresser from raking back and forth.  When I get back into the shop with the camera I will show how I accomplished this.

Have a Great Day!

3 comments:

  1. I just stumbled across your site today, and thank you for the tips! I am a "newby" to the world of refinishing, and I am having the hardest time trying to find info on filling in the holes where the drawer pulls go in my ancient bachelor's dresser. Any tips on this?! I looked at some of the other posts, and I plan on using several of these tips, so again, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey April, Thanks for stopping by. Okay there are several options. If you are going to paint the dresser then you can do do a couple of things, you can fill the holes with joint compound or wood putty. If you want an even better filler you can take tooth picks and shove them in the hole so that it is full of tooth picks and cut them flush and them fill with some wood glue and sand flush with the drawer face. If you are going to stain the dresser then your best bet is to use stainable wood filler that closely matches the color of the natural wood and once you stain it the filler will blend with the wood. I'm not going to lie you'll probably notice it but it's not going to be to bad the holes shouldn't be that big. Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

    --Grover

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! Interesting posts - thank you! You mention stabilizing the dresser but I can't find where you explained how you did it. Could you give me the details? Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails